Thursday, August 05, 2004

My Dad's Personal Statement

I found this while searching on the internet for some info. It is my dad's biography which I will place below. Just thought it is interesting. It came from a summary of 1951 graduates from Hendrix College on there 50th anniversary. Enjoy!

After graduation from Hendrix, I attended the
University of Arkansas School of Medicine, graduating
with a M.D. degree in June 1955. I interned at Charity
Hospital of Louisiana in New Orleans. After a two
year tour of duty as a flight surgeon in the U. S. Air
Force, I returned to Charity Hospital for a LSU
Orthopedic Surgery residency, finishing in 1963. I
joined the Staff at Oschner Clinic and Oschner
Foundation Hospital. I was also on the visiting clinical
staff of LSU Orthopedic Surgery at Charity Hospital.
The year 1969 was a pivotal one for me. I married
Elizabeth Jane Cole of Philadelphia, Miss., in August.
After receiving my second invitation to join the
Oschner Clinic partnership, I decided to return to
Little Rock to start a solo practice of Orthopedic
surgery in November.
I increased my practice to four orthopedic
surgeons over the years before separating to be solo
again in 1977. I completed 10 years of Cripple
Children’s Clinic service in Camden.
I have two sons, both Hendrix graduates. Ashley,
born in 1973, is a doctor in a Pediatric Residency at
Bowman Gray (Wake Forrest) in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Daniel, born 1977, has moved to Los Angeles to try to
make a living as an actor.
In 1991, I was called to active duty in the US Army
Medical Corps during Desert Storm and spent 6
months in Ft. Campbell, Ky. I remained in the reserve
and in 1995 retired after 20 years (mostly in reserves)
as a full colonel.
I retired from the private practice of orthopedic
surgery February 1999 and am now working 5/8 time
a the John L. McClellan Veterans Hospital in Little
Rock. I see out-patient orthopedic consults only and do
not operate, admit, or take call. My golf game has
improved, and my wife and I travel more. I am
interested in the stock market and computers.

No comments: